Sunday, November 10, 2013

The dark side of parenting: sleep deprivation

Most people that know me know that I love my sleep. love. my. sleep. I also don't like to be woken mid-sleep and well when you have a toddler and a 7 month old baby, its fair to say they don't give a hoot about YOUR sleep preferences. 

They have their own little sleep mission and just quietly its utter rubbish.

I think it's fair to say that the whole sleep thing has all got a bit out of hand in our house. And as a consequence, we are ALL suffering from a little sleep deprivation. I know sleep deprivation is inevitable with 2 babes in the house but sleep is necessary and this whole sleep on the pillow that your head first lands on protocol that we have created in our house is the absolute pits.

Most nights, I actually have no idea who is where or what bed one has landed in. 

Its like musical beds and it is not fun. 

For example, we have had: Noah in our bed. Jude in our bed. Brad in Noah's bed. Jude in Noah's bed. Brad on the floor. Noah in Jude's cot (!), Noah under his bed ("Jo, have you seen Noah?"), Jo in Noah's bed. Jo on couch. Brad on couch. Noah at our feet. Both kids in our bed.... Parents on the floor in kids room.

Can you hear the music playing... on and on but last night, I screamed:

"Stop!"

My poor family and neighbours heard the almighty roar of serious sleep deprivation. I declared right then and there that tomorrow I declare war on sleep. 

Yup. War. 

We all need it and I will fight for it. Damn it.

So, today. I started operation sleep in your own bed. I know it's going to be tough. I am no fool. I have fought this battle before, back in 2009. I know I would rather pull out my toenails but this needs to be done. We all need sleep! And I will make sleep a priority. 

So here's my pledge. For the month of November, these babies of mine will be sleeping in their own bed. And my husband will be by myside in our bed. Our beautiful bed. Maybe not 100% of the time, lets make it 80% of sleep time. 

Don't want to set myself up for an earlier failure. I can do this. We can do this.

Wish me luck. 

Anyone else got the same thing happening in their house? Want to join me in this fight for better sleep?

Love Jo xxx